How to set the default program for opening up documents without an expansion in Windows?
This is an instance of.reg apply for obtaining Notepad to open unidentified documents expansions. Create a new message documents with an expansion of.reg, cut and also paste this right into it, after that double click to run and also it'll place it right into the computer system registry.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Unknown\shell] @="notepad" [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Unknown\shell\notepad] @="Open with Notepad" [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Unknown\shell\notepad\command] @="C:\\WINDOWS\\NOTEPAD.EXE %1"
Normal documents with an expansion can have a program linked nonetheless this is not the instance with documents that do not have an expansion. If you double click one and also select an application and also examine package to constantly make use of that application it is overlooked and also every single time you select a documents you need to pick the application.
You can compel this making use of the computer system registry :
- Start the computer system registry editor (regedit.exe)
- Move to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
- From the Edit food selection select New - Key
- Enter a name of '.' and also press Enter (do not type the quotes)
- Select the new '.' key
- Double click the (Default) value
- Change to the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT made use of to open, as an example NOTEPAD for the notepad.exe application NOTEPAD
- Click ALRIGHT
If you currently double click a documents without expansion it will certainly open with the application picked.
To examine what an existing application made use of consider its access under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, as an example HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. doc makes use of Word.Document.8 so if you desired this as your default editor you would certainly transform HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. (Default) to Word.Document.8.
Any kind of method which stays clear of the demand to modify the computer system registry is as adheres to :
- Open Explorer - View - Folder Options ... - File Types - New Type :
- Description of type : Text (any kind of summary, you can key in)
- Associated expansion :. (simply a duration)
- Actions : - new ...
- Action : open
- Application made use of to execute activity : c :\winnt\notepad.exe
- Click ok, after that ok once more
With the command line :
assoc .="No Extension" ftype "No Extension"="C:\path\to\my editor.exe" "%1"
Extra details :
"C:\path\to\...", the adhering to macros might serve :
%SystemDrive%- drive windows is mounted on, i.e.
%ProgramFiles%- as an example
%ProgramFiles(x86)%- as an example
"C:\Program Files (x86)\"
You will certainly require to effectively leave them though :
ftype "No Extension"=^"^%ProgramFiles(x86)^%\Notepad++\notepad++.exe^" "%1"
To set the symbol to be the very same as.txt documents (I really did not do this, given that it instantly made the documents' symbols present as Notepad+npls documents) :
assoc "No Extension"\DefaultIcon=%SystemRoot%\System32\imageres.dll,-102
To undo, you can read the
assoc /? or
ftype /? details, as an example :
ftype "No Extension"= assoc "No Extension"\DefaultIcon= assoc .=