How do I configure my AWS instance to offer a remote desktop computer so I can make use of Windows terminal solutions to access it?
My bad strategy is to offer rdp from an AWS ubuntu instance so I can have an irreversible xubuntu desktop computer as I stroll from windows computer system to windows computer system (or any kind of computer system actually). It is as very easy as running mstsc - v aws.public.url .
Just how, via, ssh, can I have the instance offer a remote desktop computer?
I do not find out about running an rds - suitable solution, yet if you can not locate one, VNC needs to fulfill your demands - simply install a VNC web server on AWS, and also a VNC customer on the home windows equipments. See as an example this VNC discussion
Note : This solution is currently obsoleted :
- xrdp no more requires tightvnc for 11.04. possibly 10.10 also
- so, no demand to install tightvnc, simply install xrpd
- so, additionally, the constraint on 64bit equipments is raised
Thanks to nealmcb's answer and also adhering to the tightvnc+xrdp conversation, I've obtained it functioning below is my full checklist of jobs to set up an mstsc - v able aws :
Xubuntu not Ubuntu Desktop
I initially attempted an ubuntu desktop computer, yet with a mini instance, the gui performance was also slow-moving, switching over to xubuntu offers a sensibly receptive remote desktop computer
- Create a Key Pair (conserve as a.pem documents to neighborhood equipment)
- Modify Default Security Group, add RDP, tcp, 3389, 3389, 0.0.0.0/ 0
- Create AWS instance : Canonical ami - 508c7839
- (i386 vital as a result of 64 bug in tightvnc)
- utilize this for the customer information area
apt_update: true apt_upgrade: true packages: - xubuntu-desktop - indicator-applet-session - gnome-themes-selected - tightvncserver - xrdp
SSH accessibility on home windows
- download and install putty and also puttygen
- with puttygen : create a.ppk from the.pem
- putty awc.public.url , ssh auth with.ppk documents
You could need to await the xubuntu - desktop computer apt - reach end up prior to the xrdp.ini is readily available.
sudo vim /etc/xrdp/xrdp.ini # remove the entries below the xrdp1 block sudo adduser me sudo addgroup me admin
currently I can mstsc - v aws.public.url right into the aws.
D Keystroke Problem
- System - > Preferences - > Keyboard Shortcuts
- Change Show Desktop Shortcut from D to alt - D
Thanks to the list below sources :
AWS Install Guide
Xubuntu AWS Install Guide
TightVNC 1.3.9 64bit Issues
RDP D key Problem
Fast Switch Applet Problem