Just how can I determine if I should roll my very own software program or make use of a packaged CMS (and also ideal plugins)?
I'm a software program designer with little internet experience presently in the procedure of intending to in fact utilizing my host and also domain for something apart from a documents unloading ground for documents that I require to offer other individuals accessibility to. My strategy is to in some way release a personal/professional internet site and also blog site, either making use of FOSS off-the-shelf items, custom software, or off-the-shelf parts with personalized modules/plugins.
My needs are:
- Semantic HTML (well created, correct use features, microformats where ideal, use CSS for design and also HTML for markup)
- Confirming HTML and also CSS (XHTML, HTML4, HTML5 all appropriate - as long as it confirms out of package)
- Assistance for a blog site
- Assistance for editing and enhancing and also handling my resume in HTML kind too taking care of uploaded documents in PDF, ODT, and also DOC layouts that I provide for download
- Created in a language that I recognize and also my host sustains - PHP favored because that's most convenient for my to host and also I additionally know with it
- Easy to get or write a motifs for
- Assistance for fixed web pages that transform occasionally (concerning me), fixed web pages that transform occasionally (task checklists), vibrant web pages (blog site, remarks), and also creates (call me)
- Plays perfectly with various other devices in the very same setting - I make use of Trac on the very same host for task monitoring and also could release various other software program such as an individual MediaWiki release
- Easy to incorporate with various other social media sites (Twitter? Facebook? Pandora?) - not call for, yet would certainly behave
- Generation and also upkeep of the sitemap and/or robots.txt
- What, if any kind of, FOSS remedy would certainly be ideal for me? I've played about with Drupal and also WordPress in the past - WordPress struck me as a strong device, yet at the time was really blog-focused (I recognize it's transformed extra lately to be extra CMS-like).
- What free (yet closed source) remedies could be ideal for me? I would certainly favor to have complete accessibility to the source, yet it's not a need.
- If I am mosting likely to roll my very own, where should I begin? I would certainly favor not to roll my very own - my software program design history informs me that my needs need to prevail and also I need to have the ability to find some existing remedy (s) that I can incorporate to make this job.
I construct venture degree CMS's for a living ... and also I directly HATE off - the - rack systems like Joomla, Wordpress, and also Drupal. Below's my factors:
1) Places I've functioned have actually had these (sort of) plans manipulated numerous times due to the fact that we weren't quickly adequate upgrading themand in many cases, updates can be once a week. As soon as you get hacked, you'll seriously examine why you ever before performed ... it STINKS.
2) Wordpress's layouts are frustrating. One will certainly have a totally - included admin location, while the next has none and also anticipates you to hack the code in. Where to look? AHHHHH!!! I've released a great deal of them, yet it discomforts me every single time. In my point of view, Wordpress is a blog site system ... utilize it wherefore it's planned to do.
3) I installed thousands of Joomla (and also Mambo) websites in a previous work. Also when you are familiar with what you're doing, all the best attempting to burst out of that "Joomla format" type lookespecially if time isn't in your corner. Very same goes with Wordpress ... you can TELL when you're on a Wordpress website. No many thanks ... I earn money to end up initial job.
4) Training. Attempt clarifying Joomla or Drupal management to a person in 5 mins or much less. The CMS I constructed can be educated to a person with one paragraph of created guidelines (or much less) due to the fact that I constructed it to just include the devices that each details internet site demands ... or else, the switch vanishes. I test you to attempt to educate a person with much less than a phonebook's well worth of guidelines, specifically if they're not practically wise.
5) Standards conformity ... it's something that I directly will not endanger on. I regulate every little thing that my CMS results, and also I've constructed it such that a loads approximately lines of code can be put right into any kind of HTML certified layout in an issue of mins to generate certified code every single time. Wordpress is ok at this, Joomla and also Drupal not constantly a lot.
6) Marketability. CMS's all do the very same points. Yet attempt entering into a possible consumer and also claiming "I would certainly such as to bill you a whole lot to tailor a free off - the - rack item" vs. "Here's a system that was constructed especially for your demand" If it's an excellent item, you'll win that organisation virtually every single time. In your instance, this does not matterbut that recognizes, possibly you would certainly have the ability to improve the capability for future tasks ... paying tasks
There are certainly downsides. You construct every little thing on your own, which requires time. If you're doing it for numerous websites, economic situation of range bring the struck down. You do not have a military of individuals locating susceptabilities ... once more, having numerous releases can aid the code advance. Yet, if you have the expertise to write top quality code, it's a wonderful remedy.
All the best.
If you have a lots of time and also an impulse that will not vanish - yeah, roll your very own. Or else install WordPress (" famous 5 minutes install") and also offer on your own 2 hrs ... that's all you need to require to get a great suggestion.
I intended to upload a number of remarks in respond to earlier replies - you can most definitely construct internet sites which are "web pages" with WP not simply blog sites (and also it's great for constructing internet sites with incorporated blog sites), and also concur @intlect's comment concerning motifs. There can be a massive distinction in the top quality of some motifs (additionally an excellent area to learn/see just how WP functions) - I've been attacked a number of times additionally updating WP to locate the motif isn't suitable with the more recent variation (and afterwards you figure out just how excellent the programmer's assistance is).
There is certainly a 3rd alternative, you can make use of a much less "hefty" CMS like MODX this would certainly permit you the alternative of not needing to re - design the wheel of all the typical cms things (customer monitoring, record monitoring, etc) while offering you a very easy adaptable setting to make your very own code. I have actually made use of a variety of CMS' and also they all have their particular niche's yet if you desire something that is very easy to create for and also light sufficient that you can recognize it without weeks of excavating (several of the CMS systems are absolutely effective monsters ... something you possibly do not require for an individual internet site). MODX is primarily constructed for simply the sort of point you intend to do, it offers you a core of attributes and afterwards you add your very own to it. Plus individuals do share their code, so you locate fragments, components, etc that have actually made use of.
I do not assume you're mosting likely to locate any kind of FOSS task that does what you desire it to do OTB. WordPress is strong yet you would certainly need to function a little to create what you desire. Drupal could be even more of a frustration than it considers first. I recognize individuals enjoy it, and also I recognize I've attempted to, yet I would certainly instead not bother with needing to keep that several hacks in between variation upgrades.
Truthfully, I would certainly select WordPress if I remained in your footwear, and also personalized construct plugins wherefore you require, if you do not currently locate some FOSS ones.
The caution is that since Matt Mullenweg (CEO of Automattic, the firm behind WordPress) began drawing a Richard Stallman on every person, he thinks and also supports that any kind of and also all themes (motif code, not images/css) and also plugins (plugin code) is GPL through being an acquired job of WordPress in his (what I directly locate altered) sight. So you're excellent if you do it on your own, yet if you have "circulation", as in offer the plugins to 2 individuals, you might be legitimately bound to OS them on your own, which is something you might or might not intend to do.
It relies on what you intend to do, and also leave it :
- Learn a Technology Stack
I created a lot of the code that powers my individual website as a learning workout to rise to speed up with the most up to date adjustments in the modern technology I was operating in, and also have actually transformed it as my emphasis transformed - initially a timeless ASP website, after that it relocated to ASP.NET 1.1, after that to 2.0, and also is currently working on ASP.NET MVC 2.0 after a current upgrade from ASP.NET MVC 1.0
- Just run your website
Both at the workplace, and also for a number of church websites I run in my leisure, I've made use of packaged software program - at the workplace we're chatting "venture" CMS's (MOSS, Tridion), for the church websites it's FOSS (N2 CMS) - due to the fact that they supplied attributes over and also past those I was prepared to write.
If your career is constructing internet sites, after that there's an argument for making use of the modern technology you're "marketing", if it's something else, after that I would certainly advise investing your time on the web content as opposed to modern technology.
Replying to comment
Then I would certainly advise selecting one off the rack - I can not supply much of a referral in the PHP round as that's not my speciality I'm worried. If you can manage some C# N2 CMS is really adaptable, yet does not have the massive plug - in/theme base of something like WordPress, which by the audios of it would possibly match your demands rather well ...
It seems like, for your usage instance, a packaged CMS is most likely the most effective means to go.
It's been a couple of years given that I last reviewed PHP CMS, and also at the time my major need was tidy extensibility. At the time, Joomla was a solid challenger, and also Xaraya looked intellectually intriguing though the growth cycle appeared slow-moving.
If you're interested in attempting a couple of out, the opensourceCMS site permits you to attempt without in fact needing to install on your own. Last time I attempted it it appeared a whole lot much less advertisement - ridden, yet I presume you've reached foot the bill. Most of the CMS run their very own trial websites also (as an example Joomla Demo, Xaraya Demo)
The buy - vs - construct inquiry is an infinite one. I would certainly claim WordPress and also Drupal both fulfill your standards. I have extra experience with WordPress so I would certainly do it in WordPress. To resolve your needs :
Semantic HTML (well created, correct use features, microformats where ideal, use CSS for design and also HTML for markup)
Yes , the majority of themes for WordPress make use of xhtml by default without problem. Microformats - relevant markup you possibly will require to do by hand in an html sight, though there might be plugins which promote that.
Confirming HTML and also CSS (XHTML, HTML4, HTML5 all appropriate - as long as it confirms out of package)
Yes , the majority of motifs for WordPress confirm or are really near confirming without much problem. There's wonderful documents for theming.
Assistance for a blog
Yes , definitely.
Assistance for editing and enhancing and also handling my resume in HTML kind too taking care of uploaded documents in PDF, ODT, and also DOC layouts that I provide for download
Yes , simply have the resume be a fixed web page, and also take care of the uploaded documents making use of the indigenous Media monitoring device in WordPress.
Created in a language that I recognize and also my host sustains - PHP favored because that's most convenient for my to host and also I additionally know with it
Yes , WordPress = PHP + MySQL + Apache functions best for
Easy to get or write a motifs for
Yes , see Theme Development
Support for fixed web pages that transform occasionally (concerning me), fixed web pages that transform occasionally (task checklists), vibrant web pages (blog, remarks), and also kinds (call me)
Yes web pages are taken care of in WordPress under the Pages component of the user interface. Call kinds function well with plugins such as Contact Form 7
Plays perfectly with various other devices in the very same setting - I make use of Trac on the very same host for task monitoring and also could release various other software program such as an individual MediaWiki release
Yes , though you might require to add some revise regulations to make sure that not every little thing factors at WordPress. I run WordPress in a subdirectory and also allow it take care of every little thing generally. You might require to add a specifier to have WordPress overlook a MediaWiki directory site stem.
Easy to incorporate with various other social media sites (Twitter? Facebook? Pandora?) - not call for, yet would certainly behave
Yes , via plugins. By default you can additionally draw in RSS feeds right into WordPress sidebars.
Generation and also upkeep of the sitemap and/or
Yes , Google Sitemap Generator.
I've made use of Wordpress to set up a variety of websites, each with various demands, and also I assume that Wordpress would certainly fulfill your demands too :
- http://chaos.trader.name/ - - Primarily a web page - oriented details website, with some blog writing.
- http://ludus.unicornsrest.org/ - - Primarily a blog, yet with a deeply nested web page framework. I created a plugin to create web links to web pages within blog posts while permitting me to reposition the web pages.
- http://driia.com/ - - My better half's organisation website, both blog and also sales website. I created plugins that permit will instantly organize blog posts onto web pages based upon groups and also tags, and also to identify that blog posts with a details tag stand for precious jewelry or art items that are offer for sale. The list price are saved as meta - information on the blog posts.
- http://barkingmad.org/ - - Advertising website for a not - for - earnings amusement team.
The number and also top quality of motifs and also plugins readily available for Wordpress is amazing, yet the GPL certificate suggests that anything that does not entirely fulfill your demands can be boosted as you please.