Should I stick to shows on my Apple or switch over to Linux?
I was asking yourself whether the button to Linux would certainly deserve it. I seem like shows on my MacBook Pro is great and also I was questioning what the benefits would certainly be for remaining or switching over.
What would certainly you do and also why?
I program for both Mac OS X and also Linux, and also I concur with bromfiets - attempt both of them!
As someone else has actually recommended, placed a VM on your Mac and also load up Ubuntu and also offer it a try. I do several of my Linux job in this way, making use of VMWare on a Mac Pro. (I additionally program on a MacBook with Snow Leopard, and also a Sony laptop computer that runs Ubuntu.)
User322 is fairly incorrect concerning just how "properly no distinction in between shows on a Mac or a Linux box". If you intend to write GUI programs on a Mac, your best choice nowadays is to make use of Cocoa and also Objective C, and also on the majority of Linux distros it's C with GTK npls. (Most of the others others, you would certainly make use of C and also KDE, and also on a couple of, C+npls and also Qt.) The graphics and also window monitoring systems are substantially various ... I can continue.
On Linux, if you do not such as just how some part runs, you can explore the resources and also repair them, which is generally not an alternative on the Mac. You find out a whole lot, and also you can make respectable loan doing that! My day work throughout much of the last 5 years have actually entailed fiddling with the internals of Linux parts like the X web server, GTK npls, and also Clutter, and also I currently refuse job doing that nowadays due to the fact that there is a lot need and also I'm strained.
Apple actually presses making use of Xcode on the Mac for both editing and enhancing and also constructs, and also it's respectable. On Linux, there is no actual criterion. For editing and enhancing, you've obtained numerous GUI devices (kate, gedit) and also incurable - based editors (vi/vim, emacs). For builds, you can do the command - line make point, or make use of jam, or ant. Or you can select an IDE like Eclipse, which has to do with as close as you'll locate to Xcode, and also somehow is much better. You get a lot of these devices for your Mac, yet rarely any person utilizes them there.
Mac and also Linux shows are actually various globes, and also both of them are rather trendy.
And also while I such as the Mac as a customer ... having actually participated in WWDC on and off given that the mid - 80s, as well as additionally participated in numerous Linux - oriented technology meetings like GUADEC and also the Ottawa Linux Symposium ... I would certainly participate in the Linux ones over WWDC every single time. They're simply cyberpunks' desires, lots of enjoyable, and also they make the marketing experts steer clear of.
Since OS X is unix - based, there's properly no distinction in between shows on a Mac or a Linux box. It simplifies merely to what programs and also energies (full-screen editor, data source frontends, etc) you favor. Yet the Mac has definitely far better programs in this feeling (at the very least in my modest point of view), and also what energies Linux does have are usually readily available on the Mac too. Lengthy and also brief, the just excellent factor to program on a Linux box when you have a Mac readily available is when you're creating an application for Linux. For every little thing else, simply stick to your Mac.
I recommend to not switch over, yet make use of both OS X and also Linux. You will certainly get more experience and also find out to program in greater than one "setting". Similary, do not adhere to one solitary shows language. Attempt an additional one (at the very least).
That relies on what your troubles are with your mac and also whether Linux addresses them. Got ta offer even more information than that, man.
Directly, I enjoy my mac for development for a couple of factors :
- Window monitoring is wonderful. At the workplace I have 2 suitable displays, yet when I'm coding on my little 15" MBP, having cmd - tab/cmd - 'is wonderful and also Exposé is a blessing.
- I have an actual unix command motivate to make use of for dev jobs, yet still an easy to use system for even more regular tasks. I really feel OS X has an excellent equilibrium in between the toughness of Linux and also Windows without the demand to switch over in between both.
- Apple is a well - support group. It's negative aspect is that at some degrees, it can be hard to tailor it (in both software and hardware). The result of that is that if something fails, you have a massive area of programmers and also customers making use of really comparable arrangements, whereas with Linux has both a smaller sized and also much less uniform userbase.
- The mainstream mac development applications (Textmate enters your mind) often tend to be far better made and also extra useful than their Linux equivalents. Some would certainly say that this comes with the price of power and also control - nonetheless, most preferred Linux applications can be worked on OS X somehow.
- Modify enhancement : Two - finger swipe scrolling. Never ever understood just how valuable this was till I needed to code for 6 months on a Thinkpad.
Please note : Though I connect with *nix systems regularly, I've never ever made use of Linux thoroughly on the desktop computer.