What's the most effective means to move from a Windows NT domain name to Windows 2000/2003 domain name?
My strategy would certainly be :
- Make certain the PDC and also BDCs remain in sync
- Switch off the BDCs and also disconnect them
- Upgrade the PDC to Windows 2000, offering the domain name a FQDN (ie from FOO to foo.bar.local)
- Make certain that the domain name participants, ie various other web servers and also desktop computers have actually transformed effectively
- Wipe the BDCs, install home windows 2000/2003/2008 from square one, include in the domain name and afterwards advertise to DC
- Tranfer the FSMO duties far from the ex-spouse - PDC
- Demote the ex-spouse - PDC
- Take the ex-spouse - PDC out of the domain name, restore it from square one as Windows 2000/3/8
- Promote the ex-spouse - PDC back to being a DC
- Move the FSMO duties around till you're satisfied.
Keep in mind that if you're intending on doing a hardware upgrade at the very same time, after that there would certainly be a couple of distinctions.
If anything fails prior to action 5, you can raise a BDC, advertise to PDC and also maintain utilizing your NT4 domain name till you've dealt with the trouble.